We’re celebrating St Patty’s Day the Bollywood way – with the ultimate palak paneer recipe!
• 1 to 2 bags of spinach leaves
• 1 block of paneer / Indian cottage cheese
• 1 onion finely chopped
• 2 tsp garlic chopped
• 2 tbsp yogurt
• 1 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
• 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 red chillies
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 2 star anise
LET’S START COOKING!
1. Chop the paneer / Indian cottage cheese into small pieces. Sauté in oil till light brown in a different pan.
2. Blanch spinach in boiling water for 3 minutes.
3. Blend the spinach into a smooth paste in a food processor.
4. In a pan, heat oil. Lower the flame and add star anise, cumin, bay leaf, onion and 1 tsp. of garlic. Sauté till garlic and onion turns brown.
5. Add the puréed spinach and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add salt and garam masala.
7. Add yogurt, mix well and switch off the flame.
8. For tempering, heat ghee in a small pan, add the remaining garlic and red chilli. Fry for 2 minutes. Add this tempering over the palak paneer.
Serve hot with roti or rice.