This recipe has long been a favorite in the Kreml household. The original recipe this is based on comes from Taste of Home and has been modified.
A knockout in a chili cook-off, this chili is a fun twist and perfect for fall and winter nights. IF you have any leftovers, they only get better and better!
• 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts; pre-cooked and shredded – see step 1
• 1 medium onion ; chopped
• 3+ cloves of garlic; minced
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 2-3 cans great northern beans; rinsed and drained – one mashed for extra thickness
• 1 carton (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
• 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
• 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
LET’S START COOKING!
- Cook the chicken ahead of time in a crockpot with chicken broth, and 1 teaspoon each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Shred and set aside. I often do this step the day before
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil. Once nearly finished, add the minced garlic with salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, and cayenne/chili powder.
- Add the onion mixture, shredded chicken, whole and mashed beans, broth, and chiles. Put on your longest crockpot setting, ideally overnight.
- The morning before serving, stir in sour cream and heavy cream.
- Best topped with avocado, tortilla chips, cheese and more sour cream (of course!).