These family favorites grace our tables each year, and we’re so very happy to share them with you. What are your favorite recipes we should try?
Turkey comes out deliciously tender and juicy, while staying crispy on the outside. Is your mouth watering yet?
1 1/2 – 1 3/4c kosher salt
2 1/2 gallons cold water
5-6 bay leaves, torn
1 bunch fresh thyme/lemon thyme
1 bunch rosemary
1 head of garlic, all cloves crushed
5 allspice berries, crushed
4 juniper berries, smashed
1 lemon peel
1 orange peel
Crushed black pepper, to taste
1. Remove turkey neck and giblet bag. Rinse well.
2. Combine sugar, salt, and 3-4 quarts of water in a large bowl. Stir till sugar and salt and dissolved.
3. Add remaining ingredients.
4. Pour into large pot with turkey.
5. Add remaining 1 1/2 gallons of water. Liquid should completely cover the bird.
6. Keep refrigerated for 12-24 hours.
What’s a meal without chutney?! What’s Thanksgiving without cranberry?!
1lb fresh cranberries
1c granulated sugar
1/2 dark brown sugar
2c fresh orange juice
1c apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
6 fresh mint leaves
NOTE: You can switch the brown and granulated sugar for a richer taste!
1. Sort the cranberries, discarding any soft ones.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients and stir to mix. Bring the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
3. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until juices have reduced and are thick enough to coat the bottom of a spoon. About 1 hour.
4. Let chutney cool at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving. Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
Sandy's Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake
The big day is not complete without dessert. You’ll be asking for seconds of this tasty pie alternative even if you’re stuffed!
2c gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/4c butter, melted
4 packages cream cheese (8oz each)
1 1/2c sugar
1 can canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
1 1/2t ground ginger
1t ground cinnamon
1/4t ground nutmeg
1. Mix cookie crumbs and butter in small bowl. Heat oven to 300. Grease 9″ springform pan, and press crumb mixture into bottom of pan and 1″ up the sides. Bake 8-10 minutes until set. Cool at least 5 minutes.
2. Beat cream cheese until just smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, then 1 egg at a time until just blended. Spoon 3 cups of mixture into pan and spread evenly.
3. Stir pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
4. Bake 1 hour 25 minutes or until edges are set but center of cheesecake still giggles slightly.
5. Turn off oven, open door at least 4″. Leave in oven 30 more minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack.
6. Run knife between pan and cheesecake to loosen without releasing pan. Cool another 30 minutes. cover loosely and refrigerate at least 6 hours (not more than 24 hours).
7. Run knife around pan to release again. Carefully remove sides of pan. Store covered in refrigerator.
Nora's Broccoli Casserole
This dish is an absolute must for every Kreml, and now, Harry, holiday dinner. Cooks well in a slow cooker too!
2 packages of frozen broccoli florets
8oz cheddar cheese, grated
1c sour cream
1/2 stick butter
1. Cook broccoli, put in greased casserole dish with salt and pepper, and top with grated cheese.
2. Make roux with butter and flour over medium heat, gradually adding milk until sauce thickens.
3. Once sauce thickens, turn off heat, add sour cream until blended and pour over broccoli and cheese.
4. Brown cornflakes in 1/2 stick of butter. Put over top of white sauce.
5. Cover the top of the casserole with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, removing foil for last 5-7 minutes.
Andrina's Holiday Cranberry Jello
1 can of crushed pineapple
1 large box of raspberry jello (or 2 small boxes)
2 apples of your choice, diced
1 can of whole berry cranberry sauce
1. Drain the crushed pineapple.
2. Take the pineapple juice and add water to equal 2 cups of liquid. Bring liquids to a boil and mix in jello power until completely dissolved.
3. Combine 2 diced apples, cranberry sauce and crushed pineapple into the bowl you would like to serve the jello out of.
4. Pour liquid jello over the top of the fruit and mix lightly. Refrigerate until set. (A few hours) Enjoy!