A very easy and simple recipe beloved by children and adults, shrikhand is made out of yogurt.
Kesar Shrikhand is a traditional Maharashtrian dessert made using fresh yogurt and powdered sugar. I loved going over to my next door neighbors in Mumbai who made it often in April and May as yogurt is very cooling.
Make sure the whey or water is drained out totally by hanging the yogurt in cheesecloth. Mathis dessert is very popular in the hot Indian summer months.
• 1 tub Greek yogurt
• 5-6 tablespoons sugar
• A few strands of saffron
• 2 tablespoons of warm milk
• 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
• Dry fruits and nuts like dates, apricots, almonds or pistachios (optional)
1. Soak saffron in milk for 3-4 hours.
2. Drain yogurt in a cheese cloth for 30 minutes.
3. Put the thick yogurt in a bowl.
4. Add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk and stir well.
5. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
6. Garnish with dry fruits and nuts.