When I’m asked if I would like to have chai tea, I always smile. Tea in Hindi, the national language of India, is ‘chai’. To me, an Indian, that’s like asking if I would like a cup of ‘tea tea.’ This is one recipe I often get asked. Depending on which spice you love, you can always make the recipe your own. Some prefer more green cardamoms. I personally prefer to add a lot of fresh ginger. A LOT!
- 2-3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. tea leaves
- Fresh ginger (as much as you like)
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods
- Boil water till it bubbles.
- Crush the ginger in a mortar pestle or a food processor. Add to boiling water.
- Grind the spices in a spice mixer and add to the water.
- Add the tea leaves.
- Add milk and sugar. If you prefer to have your tea without milk and/or sugar, leave it out.